Tuesday, January 3, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TIM HOLTZ/GRUNGY MONDAY

What fun is this???  Check out my friend, Linda Ledbetter's blog at GRUNGY MONDAY.  She's throwing a birthday party for ... guess who ... TIM HOLTZ!  His birthday is January 7th and Grungy Monday is celebrating with a birthday card (for Tim) challenge this week!  Hop on over to Grungy Monday and leave a card for Tim!

Here is the card I just finished for him and am posting to Grungy Monday's challenge.


I know Tim loves Mickey Mouse.  And for some reason, the idea of using Tim's Weathered Clock as a vintage Mickey Mouse clock popped into my head.  So I set out to find a vintage image of Mickey online.  I loved this one and altered it just a bit, to remove his arms.  Then I used Claudine Hellmuth's technique of transferring pictures on to metal using Matte Multi Medium.  My "tin" is a piece of Ranger's Foil Adhesive Sheet.  It is the coolest technique!  It makes pictures look like old tin types.  I love it!
The picture doesn't pick it up that well, but Mickey looks like an old tin type on the metal background.  I then fitted the tin transfer to the center of Tim's Weathered Clock die cut, so that Micky could be the center of my vintage clock.  I distressed the edge just a little with Gathered Twig Distress Ink.  I love how the Distress Inks are transparent enough that the old tin look still comes through the distressing.

Next I distressed the Weathered Clock (cut out of Grungeboard) with Black Soot Distress Ink.  I then coated the Weathered Clock in Embossing Powder and lightly sprinkled some Black Embossing Powder, followed by Queen's Gold Embossing Powder randomly over the clock face.  I wanted to give it that aged, metal peeling feel.  I did the same thing with the Weathered Clock hands.  Then I heat set everything.

I found the little Micky hands on line as well and sized them to fit my Mickey.  I covered them in Clear Embossing Powder and heat set them.  Then I glued Mickey's hands to the ends of the clock hands and fastened them on Mickey with a Long Fastener.  They will really move. It's so fun to play with Mickey's hands and move them around the clock!


Here is more of a closeup of the results of sprinkling Embossing Powder .  I also rubbed the edges of the vintage red insert on the cover of the card with Embossing Powder and sprinkled Queen's Gold Embossing Powder around the edges.  I brushed some of it away with a dry paint brush and then heat set the rest.  I love this technique for adding interest to edges of things.

The clock is telling everyone it's time for a party!!  I got the letters "PARTY TIME" from Tim's Seasonal Salvage Stickers and popped them on the card front using black pop dots.
Then I hot glued the Weathered Clock in place around the center rim.  Finally, I placed Mickey Mouse in the center and pop dotted it as well with the black pop dots.


I have not signed the card yet, but here is the interior of the card.  I distressed the edges with a little bit of Gathered Twig and used the January calendar from Tim's Lost and Found Salvage Stickers.  I circled Tim's birthday, in case he forgets (smile).  Finally, I stamped my sentiment.  I thought it was perfect for this card!  It speaks to the child in all of us when it comes to birthdays, parties and blowing out candles.  Oh ... and Mickey Mouse! 

SO HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TIM!!!  I hope you have a MAGICAL day!


27 comments:

  1. Ooh I celebrate my birthday on the same day as Tim, he is in good company LOL. Love your card, great fun. May have to try and join in this one. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! :) It's perfect for tim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candy, this is absolutely brilliant!! I love the transfer...you definitely have made me want to try that. I know Tim will love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candy you are so clever.. I am sure tim will love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this one Candy!! The mickey mouse with the clock hands, that is so smart of you!! You made it so good!!!

    Love from The Netherlands,
    Leintje*

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh, how creative! Love it.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh how CUTE!!! Knowing how tim loves Disney, he is going to adore this card... love the sentiment in the middle too... I am now, however, fingers, toes, eyes, nose, chin, ears, kidneys and legs years old lol Happy New Year Candy, I truly hope that we can get to meet up again this year.. if not, we will have to do that Skype thing! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just too darn cute, he will love it!

    ~Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this is just perfect for tim! He will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this card - great idea to use Mickey! Lovely colour scheme :0

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that is so totally t!m!!! He's gonna love it. Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cute is this card?! Love that you used mickey mouse. We all know that Tim loves disney! The sentiment inside the card is so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh this is sooo adorable--and what a fabulous idea to make a card for Tim!!!! How awesome!!

    Happy New Year~wishing you a wonderful 2012!!!
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. So BEAUTIFUL this card!!!!
    Love it,
    Greetz Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic! Love the way you used Mickey (SO special for Tim!) as your hands... and the distressed clock is perfecto. He will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loving the way you have thought this card through, so much care and attention to detail. Am sure he will be delighted with it. Happy New Year, xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. HEy there Candy, I told you allready that The Tim's card is really amazing, knowing from you that he just loves Mickey Mouse, he sure going to love this amazing card. Fabulous colors and that clock, wowwww really love it. Fab what you made Tim inside the card. Yep sure thing he is going to love it lots. Another amazing job welldone. Hugs Terry xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your cards makes me so happy...it's wonderful!!! Love the red...so happy! What an awesome card for an awesome guy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Candy you did a faulous job on tim's card! OMG! Mickey turned out wonderful! He is gonna love this card, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your card is just so much fun and All Tim - he'll absolutely love it. Love the inside!!! Huge congratulations on the Ranger spotlight - truly fabulous and so well deserved! Getting back into some blog hopping and admiring all your lovely makes including the wonderful vintage frame! Have a good week and wishing you lots of DT gusto! x Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This card is awesome and adorable. I love the Mickey! I love everything you make... Your art is very inspiring to me. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Candy - this TH card is fantastic!!! His classes are fantastic, he's so awesome! xo

    -pamela :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's fabulous Candy and Tim will love it I'm sure, right up his street as we say over here :)! The tin type technique from Claudine I must check out, it looks wonderful. You're so imaginative, I love your ideas. Have a lovely weekend. Chris :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. A perfect card for the Disney-loving Tim! It's fabulous Candy! x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love it! I made a Disney card, too.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy that you stopped by my blog! I truly appreciate your time and thank you for leaving a comment! Have a wonderfully blessed day!